Who We Are
The Albany Downtown Association, otherwise known as Downtown Albany, is a private, non-profit membership organization dedicated to Albany’s downtown revitalization. Our purpose is to:
- Promote downtown Albany as the heart of the community
- Strengthen the economic viability by encouraging business diversity
- Enhance the unique physical characteristics of historic downtown Albany
To achieve its objectives, Downtown Albany is coordinated by a full time executive director, a board of directors, staff, volunteer committees, business owners, property owners, residents and community leaders.
Downtown Albany also administers ParkWise, a parking management program for downtown.
What We’re Working On
Downtown Albany strives to be in-tune with the downtown community’s needs.
In the works are:
- A Streetscape Plan for both private and public spaces
- Business Recruitment
- Progressive Business Assistance
- Downtown Albany Facebook page
- Retail Shopping Guide
- Downtown Dining Guide
- Downtown Historic District Tours
- Business and Customer Surveys
We’ve Done a Variety of Projects
Downtown Albany serves the downtown businesses and residents through a comprehensive approach to revitalization.
Promotional activities also include co-op advertising, shopping maps, a downtown business directory and this promotional webpage.
Some of our annual events include sidewalk sales, Movies at Monteith, Antiques in the Streets, Halloween Trick-or-Treating, the community tree lighting ceremony, the Holiday Movie and the Downtown Twice Around Holiday Parade.
- Strengthening Downtown
Downtown Albany helps business owners with technical assistance and information. Businesses have a voice at our monthly merchant meetings “What’s Up Downtown?” Other services include a monthly newsletter for members and workshops featuring retail experts. Downtown Albany co-sponsors a facade grant program with the City of Albany, advocates for downtown at the City Council and CARA and actively recruits new businesses.
Downtown Albany leads in beautifying. We oversee the Holiday Snowflake Project and the Summer Flower Basket Program. Other projects include way finding signs, on-street trash receptacles, public art, special cleanup days and parking lot landscape.
What We’ve Accomplished
Downtown Albany has had an impressive track record in revitalization for more than 30 years.
Our recent accomplishments include:
- Rehabilitating more than 20 buildings since 1999, representing over $5 million of public and private reinvestment.
- Encouraging upper floor development.
- Creation of an Economic Improvement District to ensure base funding for Downtown Albany.
- Increased community visibility through summer flower baskets and holiday snowflakes, and advocating for an upcoming streetscape project.
Active livable downtowns don’t just happen. It takes a comprehensive approach coupled with professional leadership and dedicated volunteers to ensure success. Our members have made an investment in Downtown Albany’s future. They help to make a downtown that we can be proud of, now and for generations to come.
The following members have made that commitment. If you are interested in becoming a member, please view our members page for more information including the benefits of membership, as well as our membership application form.